History

Yandina Street Fair – our town’s history

Gubbi Gubbi Dance Troop Yandina

GUBBI GUBBI DANCERS AT YANDINA STREET FAIR

Yandina Hotel, Stevens Street, Yandia

YANDINA HOTEL IS POPULAR ON THE STREET FAIR DAY

Aboriginal people of the Gubbi Gubbi language group have lived in the Yandina district for over 40,000 years.

European settlement of the area is much more recent, dating back to the 1850s.  Yandina township was surveyed in 1870, and it was the first town in the Maroochy district.

Many of the original buildings and the heritage streetscape of Stevens Street have been preserved. The Anglican church, opened in 1880, is the oldest on the Sunshine Coast.

The Yandina Hotel dates back to 1889, and was relocated in 1891 when the railway came through the town.

Yandina was originally planned to be the centre of the Maroochy Shire but, as the local sugar mill was built in Nambour, more and more people who worked there moved closer.

The fertile land around the town has been used for beef and dairy cattle, fruit growing, sugar cane and ginger.

Yandina is the home of the Buderim Ginger Factory.

Ginger Factory